For sale from a private collection SMZ S3A 1966 in immaculate condition for its age . The rarest unit of soviet car history with all original parts and spare parts including tires made in Ussr imported from Norway. In 1952, disabled Russian veterans of World War II (or the “Great Patriotic War” as it was called in the USSR) received their long-overdue motorized transportation in the form of a government provided open three-wheeler, the SL1. Built by a motorbike company in Serpukhov, the light vehicle proved that having only 3 wheels was an impractical choice for the Russian snow, sleet, and mud. Therefore, in 1958, the 4-wheeled, open-topped SMZ appeared. It could do 25 mph instead of the previous model’s 12.4 mph and featured front torsion bar suspension attached to a tubular frame. The fuel consumption of this model was 5 liters of gas on 100km. The electrical equipment was like a motorcycle – 6 volt. Two different models were manufactured: the S3A , for driving with two hands and one leg seen here, and the SZB version for driving with one hand and one leg. In the Soviet Union, they were commonly called “motor-wheelchairs” (or invalidka in Russian) and were only available through the social care system, leased for up to 5 years. After five years of use, a lessee had to return his "motor-wheelchair" to the social care organizations, and was given a new one. Old units were just simply destroyed by department and drop off from inventory list. This is the main reason why this vehicles becomes the most rare soviet cars in history. The S3A was manufactured until 1970 when it was replaced by a modernized S3D version.
You can find more soviet era and eastern European block vehicles at www.sovietauto.com .
original miles - 14086
Weight – 500 kg (1,102 lb)
Length – 2,667 mm (105.0 in)
Max velocity – 55 km/h (34 mph)
cylinder – 346 cc, 72 mm (2.8 in) in diameter
max power – 10 hp (7 kW)
Electrical equipment – 6v